Your Dog Shouldn't Eat
(from the Pedigree Knowledge
Dogs chew almost anything. Hey, if it's on the floor it's fair game, right?
Unfortunately, certain foods and everyday substances that are perfectly fine for
people can be toxic for dogs. Even a small quantity of the following substances
can put your dog's health at risk.
- Alcoholic beverages. Because alcohol can be fatal to
dogs, no amount of alcoholic beverage is safe… yes; even beer should be off
- Chocolate is toxic to canines. The darker the
chocolate, the more harmful. The methylxanthines (caffeine and theobromine) in
chocolate can cause a dog to vomit, have diarrhea, experience rapid, irregular
heart beat, have increased urination, and experience muscle tremors and
seizures. The effects can be serious. Death from chocolate toxicity can occur
with 24 hours.
- Coffee, tea and cola are people-food. They contain
caffeine, a methylxanthine also found in chocolate. The signs of toxicity
include rapid heart beat, hyperexcitability, tremors, and seizures.
- Macadamia nuts can temporarily cause muscle weakness,
often in the hind legs. Other signs include vomiting, fever, and abdominal
pain. The mechanism of the toxicity is unknown. Affected dogs recover with no
treatment and no long-term effects.
- Onions and garlic have a chemical that damages red
blood cells in dogs and can cause anemia. Even one small whole onion can cause
death. So be particularly careful when disposing of left-overs that contain a
significant amount of onions, such as pizza or Chinese take-out. The small
amounts of onion and garlic powder used in pet foods is safe and well below
the toxic levels.
- Raisins and grapes seem like fun toys to a dog. But
they can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and kidney failure. The minimum safe amount
is not known, so keep these foods well out of reach of curious muzzles.
- Sugarless gums and candies are certainly sweet, but
the sugar substitute xylitol can cause a rapid drop in your dog's blood sugar.
- Moldy or spoiled food and garbage should stay safely
in the trash. They can contain multiple toxins causing vomiting, diarrhea, and
damage to internal organs.
- Yeast dough, like the kind used in making bread or
desserts, is designed to expand. If swallowed by an unsuspecting canine, it
can expand and produce gas in the digestive system, causing pain and possibly
rupture of the stomach or intestines.
Medications such as Ibuprofen, Tylenol, and Naproxen may
give you some relief, but painkillers and other common medications can be
deadly to your dog. Keep all prescription and over-the-counter drugs -
including painkillers, ant-inflammatory drugs, cold medicines, diet pills,
antidepressants, anti-cancer drugs, and vitamins - in closed cabinets out of
your pets' reach. Never give your dog medication unless directed by a vet.
- Plants are pretty but possibly deadly for your dog.
Many common yard and houseplants can be poisonous, including lily, daffodil,
oleander, rhododendron, azalea, yew, foxglove, rhubarb leaves, and cycads.